March 11, 2010

Watch out for aqueous cream!

Apparently, many GPs--at least in the UK--are prescribing cream that could be making eczema even worse for their patients. Aqueous cream was developed as an alternative to soap and some doctors are giving it to patients to use as a moisturizer, as reported here. Unfortunately, the cream does not contain much to moisturize the skin and also contains sodium lauryl sulphate, which can irritate sensitive skin. Eczema patients should educate themselves about which products are helpful and seek out the advice of a dermatologist.

1 comment:

  1. Yes this is sooo true!!! my dermatologist told me about using Boots Acqeous cream. I went to Boots asked the pharmacist and she said it was fine for use all over my body. I applied every day for two days and on the third day woke up in extreme pain and felt as though my face was burnt. I then returned to the dermatologist and it was then explained to me that the cream is intended to be used as a soap not a cream as the name suggests... I was a mess for three more days and had to resort to more steroid creams to reverse the effects of the cream. Needless to say I threw the cream in the bin immmediately....even it was used incorrectly..the name was deceiving and its agents were quite potent!

    Excema suffererer

    ReplyDelete